I’ve written a lot about using Jekyll using Docker from Windows to get a good experience. However it can be slow to regenerate and update itself which is annoying.
Below is my shot of running WSL2 and Jekyll.
TL;DR - it works really well
However I got errors like this following along with the Medium article:
ERROR: Error installing zlib: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. extconf failed, exit code 1
UPDATE 15th May 2023 I couldn’t get it working on WSL2 / Ubuntu 22.04
UPDATE 5th June 2023 I did get it working like this: help article
# so probably some commands from further down then... # 5th june 2023 on Ubuntu 22 gem install jekyll bundler bundle install bundle update bundle install bundle update sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade gem install jekyll bundler bundle add webrick bundle exec jekyll serve
After some playing around this worked for me:
sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y sudo apt install ruby-full sudo apt-get install make gcc gpp build-essential zlib1g zlib1g-dev ruby-dev dh-autoreconf sudo gem update sudo gem install bundler # if you get errors (as I've done), go back to the start and go through these commands again #sudo gem install jekyll # inside jekyll repo # **Had to do sudo to get this to work** bundle install # simple serve bundle exec jekyll serve # I like to have reload working and used to need force_polling to work on windows filesystem # bundle exec jekyll serve force_polling --livereload --unpublished bundle exec jekyll serve --livereload --unpublished --incremental
I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS and 20.04.1 LTS which I found out by typing this into bash:
Error - site wont load
Around the beginning on Nov 2020 I’ve noticed that sometime the site just wouldn’t load from window side, but I could
curl it from linux side.
No idea why, but restarting this service, restarts WSL2 which works
Or from a
cmd prompt on Windows side (thanks Stackoverflow)
Error - pathutil
“/var/lib/gems/2.7.0/gems/pathutil-0.16.2/lib/pathutil.rb:502: warning: Using the last argument as keyword parameters is deprecated”
I got this error using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and my site wouldn’t load from windows side browser.
I ended up going back to 18.04.5 LTS which then worked.
Notice here I’m defaulting to the non-incremental build in 4.2s on my poweful desktop machine, as it is fast enough.
VSCode - Remote WSL
To easily view and edit files inside WSL2
Perf went from 35 seconds to 10 seconds
After my laptop was left for a while this went down to around 6 seconds
Then I noticed that
--incremental works (whereas I had problems before on windows) so now down to 2.3s average
Then moving to my desktop (4790K desktop - 5 years oldish) am getting 1.5s average it is amazing how fast it updates.
I take screenshots and use images from unsplash so I need an easy way to save to the WSL2 filesystem. From windows explorer address bar I typed in:
Then put it in my Quick Access:
Shortcuts in .bash_aliases
Windows Terminal blog post where I drive things from now, includes all my useful alias shortcuts.
Mount a disk
I don’t have this build, so have stuck with the Windows explorer quick access way which seems to work for me.
VSCode and DevContainers
VS Code and DevContainers by Martin Peck looks very interesting.
I’m convinced and love having a faster regeneration of my site again.
At some point I will have to look at my Jekyll site and do some performance optimisations to make it regenerate faster.
In the meantime I can get on with writing and easily seeing live previews.
Happy blogging :-)